Friday, December 7, 2007

{Ain't No Charlie Brown}






















We finally put up the 'ol Christmas tree (the family one that is). We went out to one of the only 2 tree lots located here in ho-bunk in 6 feet of snow freezing our tooshies off (yeah, you all know that I'm kidding about that, but it was a little nippy here!!) and after much ado, found the perfect tree and it was a big-un! We always get a real tree, not that we have anything against the fake one's (they are just lovely), but I love the smell of the pine in the house. I used the term "was a big-un" and not that it is not still a pretty big tree, but after all of the trimming to make it all even (they all were a little bottom heavy and our's was no exception) it seems to have shrunk a bit. But it doesn't come close to a Charlie Brown Christmas tree. I remember growing up and my little friend a few doors down always got the Charlie Brown Christmas tree and I think it was actually because they felt sorry for it (or her Dad was just cheap, I'm not sure which) and then she would tease me and I would have to sing a little song , "Little Greenie 3 Feet Tall". It was tradition. Tonight we celebrated a tradition I have past on from my family, my Mom always used to make some cookies or banana bread and do some festive snacks and egg nog while we decorated the tree. I have passed that down to my kids and they actually look forward to it. This year, however, I let the children invite a friend to help and while that worked out just fine for the girl, not so much for the boy and his high energy new pal. His pal wasn't quite so interested in the decorating and more interested in the chocolate candy dish on the table and Mark and I started to realize that this kid might not want to be eating quite so much sugar. The kid then informs us that he isn't really allowed to eat sugar. Mark and I looked at each other and for all intensive purposes the chocolate is hidden in an undisclosed location. But we did really enjoy getting the old ornaments out (Mark even has some from his childhood) and the kids have ornaments from every year for the most part and a few that they made (we joked that these were "back of the tree ornaments" and some of you know how that joke got started). I just recently got a super cute ornament from my good friend, Karen, and while it is absolutely adorable, I have no idea what made her think of me. I have attached a picture my newest, latest,and greatest "Grumpy Til I Get my Coffee" ornament. I'm really thinking that maybe she got my present mixed up with Lorrie's. I love my tree, it doesn't have a theme, it isn't very fancy, but its ours and it is everything that reminds us of family.......................

1 comment:

gottablogmom said...

I think I speak for myself and all your other peeps, WHY WERENT WE INVITED!! We would have driven the 10 plus hours.... We woulda decked those halls like nobody's biz.